UPDEV CHALLENGE 2020
22 December 2021
UPDEV CHALLENGE 1rst Edition
For this first edition, registrations are expected at $5 and will end two weeks after the launch date. We will then communicate the start date of the training to you. Participants enrolled in an intensive week-long training program that allows them to develop critical thinking, speaking, and presentation skills to ensure they are well-prepared on competition day. During this training, the trainers determine, based on the selection criteria, the 10 best projects to be retained to be presented before the judges.
The objective of this competition is to first unearth different ideas, different solutions to the problems of our country, to provide solutions, to have as many applications as possible "made in DRC". Secondly, it is to give the chance to have support to these young people with good ideas so that their ideas are put into practice.
The training will take place in Goma / Democratic Republic of Congo.
1. Conditions of eligibility :
- Be in the age group of 16-26 years
- Be able to speak French or English
- Be of African descent
- Candidates must be available during the week of the training, which takes place in two sections every day: those in the morning from 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and those in the afternoon from 2 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Have a project
2. Selection criteria
- Your application should describe the concern you want to solve and how to solve it, including the technologies you use or need to develop.
- Your original solution or create an improvement of existing solutions.
- You must consider that many Africans have variable Internet access depending on the frequency of their use and the devices they will be using (laptop, tablet, mobile phone).
- A graphical presentation should accompany the presentation, demonstrating the solution will work and an example of the user interface.
Participants benefit from the week of training, during which they have the opportunity to meet different trainers, most of whom are entrepreneurs, developers, and business leaders who can intervene in the development of their projects.
The first 3 candidates will benefit from the monitoring of their projects until the terminal phase (deployment) and monetary prizes including 1st 500,000 CDF, 2ᵉ 200,000 CDF, 3ᵉ 100,000 CDF
The winner of the UPDEV Challenge is selected by a high-level jury, after a presentation and a demo where he (she) receives exciting prizes, in particular, a monetary prize or a phone or a tablet or a laptop